Sunday, December 18, 2011

How To: Feel Like Home

Being stationed in Daegu, South Korea I am, depending on who you ask, between seven and eight thousand miles away from my loved ones. Family, friends, that cute bartender... yep, away from all of them. While I find myself to be completely self relient, non-dependent on family, and strong there are moments when sitting in a coffee shop, plugging away on the computer at work, or walking down a crowded Korean market that I feel completely alone and homesick. It doesn't happen very often. I've found that there's a fine line between being homesick and being nostalgic and appreciative of who you have, no matter where those people are. The fine line that defines the difference between the two exists in self pity that you either have or don't have for yourself. I prefer not to take pity and instead I try to appreciate who I have and remember that they're only an email, a phone call, or a greeting card's distance away.

So how do you make it feel like home?


You simply nest, you set in roots, and you bring home with you wherever you go. I try to make my apartment feel like home by displaying pictures, hand made things from my sister, and quilts by my mother and grandmother. It's little visual cues from home that make me feel that much closer to the ones I love. The best way to make it feel like home is to invite those you care about into your home... digitally. Skype is an amazing tool for connecting and reaching out vast distances. In one day I've skyped people in Europe, the United States, Hawaii, and South Korea. Skype is a gateway that brings me into your home and you into mine; it closes the gap and brings two hearts and minds just that much closer together. Recently I was lucky enough to have what I called a "skype marathon" where I spent almost an entire day talking to various friends and family members back home. Despite being seven thousand miles and several time zones away I felt like I was home for the day. I felt like I had just had a mini welcome home party and was lucky to have some quality conversations and share in some goofiness with those I'm close to. So you want to make it feel like home? You want to stop feeling homesick? Get on skype, write out a card, send a message... reach out! Don't take pity on yourself, instead, remember that you have those who love you and those you love. That feeling will be enough to shake away the chill of self pity and bring about the warm embrace of love.

1 comment:

  1. You are my son, no doubt. And you are "spot on" on this post. No matter where you are as long as you have a little visual piece of home with you it makes it better. For me, I wake up to photos of the two of you at my bedside, so your'e the first person (even if you are in a frame) that I see in the morning and it makes me smile. I continue that on at work where a photo shadow box resides on my desk. During my tours of service I always had an angel hanging out on my uniform from Grammy to remind me she's with me and I had a piece of orange ribbon from Grampy in my pocket to remind me he was with me. And of course, I always had photos of you boys. I am so proud of both of you. Who you have become and where you are at in life. I never worry (well, too much) about you because I know you have the basic life skills to survive and the rest...well, that's up to you to explore. Just remember, sometimes we win, sometimes we lose, either way we learn something useful to take with us. I am glad that you always take your quilt on your journey. I made it with the intention that you would so you would always have a piece of me with you. And Grammy made hers for you with the same intentions. So, it is wonderful to know they make you feel closer to home. This Skype thing is phenominal. One of the greatest gifts I have ever received is this little computer from you which allows me to experience the Skype so I can see or hear you. I like touching the screen because it makes me feel like I have touched you. So, thank you so very much for sharing with me. I love you to the moon and back. And I certainly like reading your blog, you keep sharing with the world and I'll keep learning something new about you. ****SMILES**** Hugs for the day! Love - Mom ;o)

    ReplyDelete